Here are our top 13 picks of 2021’s best pregnancy skincare products.
If there’s any time a woman needs to take extra care of her skin, it’s when she’s pregnant. Unless, you are lucky to have the pregnancy glow every pregnant woman is crazy about, your lot usually is acne, sensitive skin or darkening skin. These can be so frustrating to grapple with. However, with these products, you are on your way to getting the best care for your skin.
Before we dive in, look out for these four things when you are choosing skincare products:
- Hypoallergenic: This indicates that you are less likely to experience any allergic reactions if you use a product with this indicated on its label.
- Parabens-free: These are products that do not contain parabens. These harmful ingredients are used in skincare products as preservatives.
- Must not contain harmful ingredients: The list of ingredients to avoid goes on and on, but the commonest ones have been mentioned in the last section of this post.
- Non-comedogenic: These products do not clog the skin’s pores which is safe for acne-prone skin.
Beautycounter Melting Body Balm
Beautycounter products are made with pregnancy-safe ingredients, so you can trust this moisturizer to hydrate your skin without exposing you and your baby to dangerous chemicals. It is also non-greasy and unscented, which means it's best for your sensitive skin and nose.
ArtNaturals Essential Body Wash
There are no parabens in the ArtNaturals Essential Body Wash which can throw your estrogen levels out of whack. It is one hundred percent natural and is cruelty-free. Eucalyptus, Tea Tree and Peppermint oil are the essential oils blended to make this product. These oils give it its antibacterial and antifungal properties. That's why it can soothe and heal, prevent body odour and infection. You will find the peppermint smell refreshing if you suffer from morning sickness.
Glow Organics Belly Butter
This belly butter is your go-to butter for soothing dry and stretch-marked skin. Its ingredients are one hundred percent vegan and organic, and it’s also cruelty-free. Besides, it contains no synthetic ingredients, artificial fragrances, parabens, dyes or anything which could irritate your skin. It is made of pure shea and cocoa butter.
Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser
From our list of 2021’s best pregnancy skincare products, this product is at the top of our category for the best facial cleanser. The Aleavia Purifying Organic Facial Cleanser is one of the gentlest cleansers you can find on the market. It is purely organic and natural. It does not contain parabens, dyes, fragrances, toxins or GMOs that may irritate your skin or pose a health threat to you and your baby. Though gentle, it is very effective as it can remove waterproof makeup.
Burt’s Bees Sensitive Facial Cleansing Towelettes
The main ingredient in this pack of facial cleansing towels is aloe. Aloe is noted for its ability to soothe the skin, the reason this product won’t irritate your skin, and it’s best for sensitive skin types. What’s more, when it comes to deep cleansing your face, these towels do a good job. They are made of 99.1% natural ingredients and are hypoallergenic and fragrance-free.
Puracy Natural Shampoo
This shampoo does not contain harsh chemicals or sulphates. It also lathers well and gives your hair (even if it’s colour-treated) a thorough cleanse. If you have morning sickness, you will find its mint and citrus scent tolerable.
Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner
With a rich blend of shea butter, sea kelp and Argan Oil, this conditioner can manage the thickest of hair. Every hair type (including over-processed and colour-treated) can use the Shea Moisture Restorative Conditioner. You will get your money’s worth with this one because it contains natural and organic ingredients which are safe for you and your baby.
Sun Bum Original Moisturising Sunscreen Lotion
A pregnant woman needs a broad-spectrum sunscreen. It will protect her from both the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. That is what this sunscreen lotion does because it is SPF 30. Moreover, there’s Vitamin E in it to moisturize your skin. Even better, it is easy to smooth on since it’s silky and not greasy, and for up to 80 minutes, it is water-resistant. The Skin Cancer Foundation has tested and approved this sunscreen lotion. It is perfectly safe for you and your baby because it has no oxybenzone, oil, allergens and parabens.
Kneipp Lavender Body Oil
Among 2021’s best pregnancy skincare products, this body oil is the best body oil for pregnant women. It is also multi-purpose; you can use it as a moisturizer and massage oil. You can also use it as a bath oil to make your bath time more nourishing, refreshing and deluxe. It is made from plant oils and contains Vitamin E, which is nature’s solution to scars and stretch marks. Moreover, you will enjoy the soothing scent of lavender in this body oil.
Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash
If you have acne-prone skin, you know not every facial wash works for your skin. That’s why you need the Belli Anti-Blemish Facial Wash because it is made for your skin type. It is infused with ingredients like lemon peel, green tea and cucumber that help clear up and prevent acne and inflammation. It also gives you a thorough cleanse. This product is OB/GYN and dermatologist-approved. It does not contain gluten, allergens, parabens, artificial dyes and harmful chemicals.
Aloe Infusion Face and Body Cream
This face and body cream is a must-have if you have severely dry skin. Why? Because it contains aloe and shea butter to soothe your dry skin. These are the two best hydrating ingredients you can find on the planet! Besides, you don’t have to worry about chemicals, parabens, fragrances or artificial colours; there aren’t any in this product. It is rather made of organic ingredients, vitamins and antioxidants.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost
The Neutrogena Hydro Boost may be your only option for an anti-ageing product since such products are off-limits for pregnant women. It contains a natural ingredient called hyaluronic acid which can be found in your body. This makes your skin retain moisture, so it appears plump with fine lines and wrinkles filled up. It does not contain retinol, one of the harmful ingredients you must avoid during pregnancy. Moreover, because it works like a gel, your skin quickly absorbs it, and it does not leave that greasy feel everyone finds irritating.
LilyAna Naturals Eye Cream Moisturiser
The good thing about this eye cream is that it does not contain retinol. It is a unique blend of natural and organic ingredients like rosehip seed oil, aloe, hibiscus, vitamins C and E. It hydrates and moisturizes the eye area, which reduces puffiness, dark circles, wrinkles, fine lines and crow's feet. The results you get are a firmer, plumper, smooth and even-toned eye area.
Here are seven ingredients in skincare products you should avoid:
- Retinoid or retinol: These are imitations of Vitamin A and can often be found in acne and anti-ageing products.
- Salicylic acid: This is also most often found in acne skincare products. You must avoid using it frequently or over a long period.
- Benzoyl peroxide: This is another ingredient found in acne products.
- Formaldehyde: This is one of ‘the toxic 3’; three harmful chemicals that nail polish manufacturers must not use in producing nail polish. Research has associated formaldehyde with infertility and miscarriage.
- Soy: This ingredient can act like estrogen in your body, which can throw your hormones out of whack. It can also worsen your dark skin patches, so steer clear of it.
- Parabens: Parabens are just like soy; they also act like estrogen in your body and can tamper with your hormones. During pregnancy, you need your hormones to stay balanced so avoid this ingredient.
- Chemical sunscreens with oxybenzone: Oxybenzone can disrupt estrogen production in women. It can also irritate your eyes and cause skin allergies.
- Phthalates: These chemicals are found in many cosmetics. They can disrupt the endocrine system, which controls the body’s hormones. In fact, they have been linked to reproductive and hormonal dysfunction.
By Nana Ama Afoa Osae I Writer I GreatWonderful Team
Leave a comment and share this post on social media.